Thursday, January 27, 2011

Want To Wow Your Preschoolers with the Bible?

I’m having a big problem lately trying to keep my daughters from fighting over who gets the most time with the Bible. Not a bad problem to have, huh? I’d like to say it’s due to my highly spiritual parenting skills, but in fact, I owe it all to a cool new download.


I have two preschoolers at home and they absolutely love the Beginner’s Bible published by Zonderkidz. The illustrations have major kid-appeal for preschool eyes, and the stories are told in a simple, engaging manner. This is also the Bible we use in our preschool environments at Southland, so my girls get the same version reinforced both at home and at church.

But this isn’t the Bible they’ve been fighting over. At least, not exactly.

I downloaded the exact same Bible (the Bible that we have two physical copies of in our house) through the Kindle app on my iPod touch for only $7.99, and it has been magic for my daughters. You would have thought I’d given them a pony.

I think every parent of preschoolers who has an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad should buy this from the Kindle store and give it a shot, that is, of course, if you don’t mind giving up your gadget for hours at a time.

So what’s the big deal?

The iPod’s screen brings the Bible images to life in rich, vivid color. My girls (even my two year-old) can easily manipulate the pictures, zooming in and out and moving it all around the screen to check out their favorite parts. The pages flow so fluidly from one to the next it gives the feeling of animated motion even though it’s just a still picture. Also, the Kindle app is so intuitive that my five year-old already knows how to get to the table of contents and go straight to an individual story.

Both girls love just sitting on my lap, flipping through page after page, exploring dozens of the 90 Bible stories at a time.

Once I purchased it, I can now also access the same Bible on my black and white kindle reader. Even though this doesn’t have the same appeal as viewing on an Apple device, it still gives me another copy to read when we’re on the road or when we can’t find one our hard copies.

I don’t recommend many resources, but anything that gets my daughters begging to look at Bible stories has to be worth eight bucks. And hey, it is cheaper than a pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment